SteamTab™ Product Information
Designers of steam processing systems and equipment use a variety of conventional methods to look up steam properties for engineering calculation, including printed steam tables in different units, stand-alone steam property software, proprietary design software, general-purpose process simulators and long-hand calculations from fundamental equations. Lookup from printed steam tables remains the frequently used method for daily use of steam properties. The interpolation of property values between fixed state points is a tedious, boring, prone-to-error exercise plagued many generations of engineers.
SteamTab designed as spreadsheet add-in allows users the convenient access to property values for steam and water. SteamTab evaluates a comprehensive set of water and steam properties, as well as selected derivative and dimensionless properties, over a wide range of conditions (temperature: 190-5,000 K; pressure: 0 to 100,000 bar).
Using SteamTab in a spreadsheet allows you to examine a large number of design scenarios for optimization and visualize the results in great looking tables and charts.
SteamTab enables performance simulation and/or monitoring of power generation plant in a spreadsheet.
SteamTab could also be used to generate Mollier charts and steam tables in your own choices of units, graduations, or language.
SteamTab V4.0 uses a formulation approved by the International Association of the Properties of Water and Steam (IAPWS) in 1995 called: The IAPWS Formulation of Ordinary Water for General and Scientific Use (IAPWS-95). This formulation represents the most accurate current embodiment of scientific understanding of water and steam properties. Replacing the old NBS/NRC-84 formulation, IAPWS-95 is the current international standard for properties of water and steam.
The IAPWS-95 formulation is valid in the entire stable fluid region of water. SteamTab imposes the following temperature and pressure restrictions:
- Pressure (P, bar): 0 <= P <= 100,000
- Temperature (T, K): 190 <= T <= 5,000
The SteamTab add-in package contains:
- Spreadsheet add-in files containing the SteamTab Functions and SteamTab user-interface consisting of dialog boxes and the SteamTab Toolbar.
- A dynamic link library (DLL) containing the core steam routines
- On-line, context sensitive help files
- A 40 page manual with a SteamTab Function Quick Reference card
- Free technical support
Some of the unique features of SteamTab are:
- Easy access to the most comprehensive set of thermodynamic and transport steam properties from the spreadsheet’s Tools menu or the SteamTab toolbar
- Direct "live" links to variable steam conditions by cell reference
- Built-in SteamTab™ worksheet functions, user-interface dialog-boxes and toolbars
- Choice of Metric/SI or English units
- Direct calculation of steam outlet conditions for isentropic, isenthalpic, constant internal energy or constant volume process
- SteamTab Functions for saturated vapor-liquid, superheated, subcooled, and constant steam properties
- Generate your own steam property diagrams using the spreadsheet’s charting capability
- Save steam property values for export to other applications – limited only by the spreadsheet’s file transfer capability
- Templates and examples for Expander, Compressor, Pressure reducing, Relative humidity, etc.
You should not encounter any hardware or software problems in using SteamTab on any hardware that has one of the following spreadsheet applications pre-installed:
- Windows: Microsoft Excel 2013/2010 (32-bit and 64-bit are both supported)/2007/2003 running on Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP
- Mac OSX: Microsoft Excel 2011